Monday, August 29, 2011

Bad tile job

A reader of my Newsday columns this week found an old one online and sent me a message. I thought it was funny, because the column was about a bad tile job on a water-bearing wall in one of our bathrooms, and the reader ended up getting the same "bad tile job" from his contractor.
This contractor used greenboard (moisture resistant wallboard) as a backer for the tile instead of a CONCRETE backer board.
I must have written that column 10 years ago. It's AMAZING to me how a contractor could violate building codes and use greenboard on a shower or tub wall.
This is a reason for homeowners educating themselves on work, repairs and renovations on their homes. The more you know, the better able you are to guard yourself against contractors who do the work INCORRECTLY ... stay educated, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment